Too much talk leads to sin. Be sensible and keep your mouth shut!
–Proverbs 10:19 NLT
Jesus warned us when He said, “And I tell you this, you must give an account on judgment day for every idle word you speak” (Matthew 12:36 NLT). For this reason, it’s wise that we watch what we say, and at times it’s wiser to “zip” our mouths shut. Chattering less is what you would call being sensible and turning off the flow.
Cleary, God gave us mouths to use, but He wants us to use them wisely, lovingly, and truthfully. He wants us to use them in helpful ways that please Him, build and encourage others, and to edify our lives as well. We speak wisely by being cautious in all that we say, by speaking
positive words instead of negative words, by being thoughtful and considerate, by not getting involved in gossip, and perhaps most beneficial, by speaking less and praying more.
May we strive to be wise spokespeople for God. As we go through our days, may we be considerate people who speak words that the Lord will not hold against us nor be hurtful toward others. We want to be known as people of integrity who are wise and cautious in speech and conduct.
- God, pardon me for all the harsh words I have ever spoken to others and even toward myself. May Your mercy and grace be much.
- Holy Spirit, help me to be watchful over my tongue, so no unwholesome talk spills out. Help me to speak truth in love.
Latest posts by Barbara Alpert (see all)
- Shine Like a Glow Stick | Wednesday | October 17 - October 17, 2018
- Detecting the Masqueraders| Tuesday | October 16 - October 16, 2018
- Heart, Mind, Courage – Part 3 | Saturday | October 6 - October 6, 2018