So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free.
–John 8:36 NLT
July 4th celebrates the thirteen American colonies that declared themselves as a new nation, the United States of America. They declared separation from the British Empire. This gave our country independence—our great American heritage. We should never take that freedom for granted. It was not without a price. Be grateful for the men and women who gave their lives to keep our country free.
We have another freedom that is even better than political freedom. This other freedom was given to us by Jesus, and it is a spiritual freedom—victory over sin and darkness. The only requirement for this freedom is having faith in what Jesus did for us through His death and resurrection. As Colossians 1:13-14 (NLT) tells us, “For he has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son, who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins.” This freedom is never-ending.
Independence Day is a symbol of liberty. However, we can be even more grateful for our spiritual liberty because of Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross for us. He loved us that much!
- Thank the Lord for the men and women who gave their lives so that we might enjoy our freedom!
- Pray for the safety of our military as they protect us.
Latest posts by Rosemary Valentino (see all)
- Your Story Isn’t Finished | Thursday | September 13 - September 13, 2018
- Love, Redemption, and Hope | Tuesday | August 14 - August 14, 2018
- Sing to the Lord! | Monday | August 13 - August 13, 2018