But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.
–Psalm 33:11 NIV
Do you know into which generation you have been assigned? The following generations have been labeled by social scientists and you may have heard the terms being tossed around.
- GI Generation (1901-1926);
- The Silents/Builders (1927-1945);
- Baby Boomers (1946-1964);
- Gen X (1965-1980);
- Gen Y/Millennials (1981-2000), aka 9-11 Generation and Echo Boomers;
- Generation Z/Boomlets (born after 2001).
Interesting, right? A quick Internet search reveals the characteristics of each generation, and with which you may or may not identify or agree.
A not-so-quick Bible search reveals the numerous times God mentions “all generations.” From Genesis into the New Testament, His promises of grace and mercy, redemption and salvation for every person ring true.
A familiar Scripture passage mentions generations: “Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen” (Ephesians 3:20-21 NIV).
No matter what generation label has been assigned to you by some social entity, know that God has labeled you His child, the one He loves with all His heart.
- Pray that every generation of people on earth will come to know Him personally.
- Pray that God will make His presence known to every generation in your family.