…Grow up. You’re kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you.
–Matthew 5:48 MSG
Have you heard the Toys “R” Us jingle, “I don’t wanna grow up. I’m a Toys R Us kid…I don’t wanna grow up ’cuz if I did? I wouldn’t be a Toys R Us kid!” As nice as this jingle is, there comes a time when you must grow up and move forward in life.
This holds true in your spiritual life too. Upon receiving Christ, you become God’s child. However, your new life in Christ does not stop at the point of salvation. As a member of God’s family, He desires that you mature in godly attributes and behaviors. To do otherwise, you remain immature, instead of becoming a mature believer.
As you grow up in Christ, the more your life will become joyful. You live more wisely and make fewer mistakes. You live according to God’s ways—not your way. You’re filled with more of God’s power to overcome troubles, instead of throwing pity parties.
You freely share the gifts and talents God’s Spirit has placed within you, instead of keeping them to yourself. In addition, you come to recognize, appreciate, and accept God’s transformation taking place. Although you grow up in Christ, you’ll always remain God’s child.
- Pray that God would reveal to you one area He would like to see you grow up and become more Christlike.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to cause you to have a childlike heart that is wise in the things of God but still know how to have fun.
Latest posts by Barbara Alpert (see all)
- Shine Like a Glow Stick | Wednesday | October 17 - October 17, 2018
- Detecting the Masqueraders| Tuesday | October 16 - October 16, 2018
- Heart, Mind, Courage – Part 3 | Saturday | October 6 - October 6, 2018