For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. –2 Timothy 1:7 NIV
In the story The Wizard of Oz, there are three memorable characters: the Tin Man, the Scarecrow, and the Cowardly Lion. As they journeyed down the yellow brick road, they sang, “If I only had a…” The Tin Man sought a heart, the Scarecrow wanted a brain, and the Cowardly Lion longed for courage. However, as their voyage ended, each acknowl- edged that what they sought was already within them all along. The Tin Man had a heart, the Scarecrow had a brain, and the Cowardly Lion had courage.
For us to be thriving followers of Christ, we require all three. We need a heart that pleases God, a mind renewed and shaped by His Spirit, and courage to face our fears and trials. If we lack any one of these, living a victorious life will be hard. Thus, just like the three characters who sought the Wizard of Oz for their deficiencies, we need to seek and ask God for ours. Pray: “God, I ask that You cleanse my heart, renew my mind, and give me the courage to confront my fears. I need not say, ‘If I only had…’ for You supply all my needs. In Jesus’ name, amen.”
- Praise God for all the wonderful things He has already proven and done in your life. Thank Him for His wonderful attributes.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to fill you with wisdom, courage, and boldness so you can rise up and proceed onward with the Lord.
Latest posts by Barbara Alpert (see all)
- Shine Like a Glow Stick | Wednesday | October 17 - October 17, 2018
- Detecting the Masqueraders| Tuesday | October 16 - October 16, 2018
- Heart, Mind, Courage – Part 3 | Saturday | October 6 - October 6, 2018