And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground.
–Luke 22:44 NIV
In one of Jesus’ toughest moments here on earth, He turned to the Father for strength. You can learn a lot from the way Jesus handled situations while He was on earth. Today’s verse says that He began to “pray more earnestly.” “Earnestly” means with serious intention and purpose.
In difficult circumstances, you can learn from Luke 22:42-44:
– To turn to God first when you are searching for comfort.
– To give your pain to God; He will bring you the strength you need.
– To continue to pray earnestly even after God gives you the strength or encouragement you need.
Remember, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding,” as it says in Proverbs 3:5 (NIV). You may not understand why you are facing certain trials, but you can walk by faith and pray boldly just as Jesus did.
God is the God of hope; He is the God of peace, strength, comfort, and love. Be encouraged because He holds all you need to get through any situation.
- Thank God for being the strength you can rely on.
- Turn to God when you are searching for comfort.