…because she was childless. The Lord answered his prayer, and his wife Rebekah became pregnant. The babies jostled each other within her, and she said, “Why is this happening to me?” So she went to inquire of the Lord. –Genesis 25:21-22 NIV
Even within their mother’s womb Jacob and Esau were struggling and competing against each other. So much so that Rebekah inquired of God, “Why is this happening to me?” Rebekah understood this was more than merely a physical battle but one that held spiritual ramifications, which the Lord revealed to her when she prayed to Him.
Things didn’t improve for the two boys outside of the womb either. In Israel, the firstborn son received the birthright, an entitlement to both inheritance and position. Esau traded it as compensation to Jacob for an immediate reward of instant gratification. Giving no thought of the future, he was living for what felt good at the time.
Isn’t this a picture of us and God? We are all born entitled to an inheritance from our heavenly Father. Yet, He’s given us a choice. Do we want to live for the temporary pleasures of this life? Jacob, in his own refinement process, had a name change. God renamed him Israel, meaning “triumphant with God.” That’s what God does with us when we choose Him. He helps us overcome evil with His help and not through striving and conniving. When life gets hard, hold on to His promise and don’t forfeit your birthright.
- Lord, thank You that I have an eternal inheritance in Heaven through Your Son, Jesus.
- Lord, help me not to be lured by things that would lead me away from You and Your promises.
Latest posts by Gloria Shrock (see all)
- Wednesday | July 17 | Bible Duo – Moses and Aaron - July 17, 2019
- Sunday | July 14 | Bible Duo – Esther and Mordecai - July 14, 2019
- Wednesday | July 10 | Bible Duo – Jacob and Esau - July 10, 2019