Christ has freed us so that we may enjoy the benefits of freedom. Therefore, be firm in this freedom, and don’t become slaves again.
–Galatians 5:1 GW
On July 4, America celebrates Independence Day! Citizens rejoice over the adoption of the Declaration of Independence. Regardless of the fact that all Americans live in a land that is free, many live in bondage. They are slaves to sin, and addictions hold them captive.
As a believer, you too can be entangled and enslaved by debt, depression, diet, doubt, or lack of discipline or determination. You may ask, “Why?” Perhaps it’s because you often try to overcome such weakness in your own independence instead of depending on Christ and the working of His Spirit within.
During your New Year celebration, did you make a resolution? If you have fallen short, make today the day you get back on track. The Bible says, “A righteous person may fall seven times, but he gets up again” (Proverbs 24:16 GW).
Is there an area of your life that needs the freedom God promises? Refuse to remain imprisoned. Draw the line. Make up your mind. Renounce the habit. Stand your ground. Resist the urge. Set realistic goals and ask the Holy Spirit to help you. “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom” (2 Corinthians 3:17 NIV).
- Ask God to forgive your rebellion, and ask Him for the help of His Spirit to overcome such entanglements.
- Ask God to prepare your heart should someone ask that you become his or her accountability partner for a season.
Latest posts by Barbara Alpert (see all)
- Get Your Fire and Passion Back | Monday | December 31 - December 31, 2018
- Dream Small – Part Two | Sunday | December 30 - December 30, 2018
- Dream Small – Part One | Saturday | December 29 - December 29, 2018