Blessed are those who recognize they are spiritually helpless. The kingdom of heaven belongs to them. –Matthew 5:3 GW
Do you know what the word “ragamuffin” means? Dictionary.com defines ragamuffin as “a ragged (unkempt), disreputable person; a shabby person. A child in ragged, ill-fitting, dirty clothes.”
Before, and even after coming to Christ, God sees us all as ragamuffins. No matter how hard we try to obey His commandments, keep ourselves pure, and live good lives, we are still ragamuffins in His sight. Isaiah 64:6 (NIV) says, “All our righteous acts are like filthy rags.”Truth be told, we all sin.
We all mess up. We all fall short of God’s holy ways and glorious standards. There’s not one person who has ever walked this earth who lived a perfect, sinless life other than Jesus Christ.
We’re all spiritually poor, dirty, and helpless to free ourselves from sin, to escape God’s judgment, and to save ourselves from everlasting life in hell. For these reasons, God sent Jesus. When you believe in His virgin birth, in His death on the Cross for the pardoning of your sins, and in His resurrection from the dead, God then sees you forgiven, without blemish, and blameless in His presence.
When we come to Jesus as we are, He presents us to God as blessed ragamuffins.
1. Thank God for His wonderful plan of salvation and for sending Jesus to save you. Praise Him for His mercy and amazing grace.
2. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you see a spiritual need in someone else’s life as you seek to fill a physical need in that person’s life.
Latest posts by Barbara Alpert (see all)
- A Word for You–– Don’t Do it | Tuesday | December 11 - December 11, 2018
- God Loves Ragamuffins | Friday | December 7 - December 7, 2018
- What’s the Difference…? | Sunday | December 2 - December 2, 2018