Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. -Colossians 3:12 NIV
If treated to a new wardrobe, in exchange for your present one, chances are you’ll find yourself in a quandary. Regardless of how much you’d love and perhaps need new clothing, it could be difficult to part with your old, comfortable favorite clothes.
As God’s chosen people, you are to discard your old nature and its former ways of being, and in its place clothe yourself with the new attire that God desires to tailor into your heart, mind, soul, and spirit. It’s not an easy assignment. But with the help of God’s indwelling Spirit, your steadfast cooperation, and much time, you can be refashioned into the image of your Creator.
What’s one to do? You’ll need to clothe yourself with a new wardrobe. Apparel that is fitting for the new person God is recreating you to become. As you put on your new God-tailored clothes—compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience—chosen by your fabulous Designer, you’ll grow, mature, and become more Christ-like, in thought, speech, and conduct. “And regardless of what else you put on wear love. It’s your basic, all-purpose garment …” Colossians 3:14 (MSG). This virtuous apparel pleases God, blesses others, and fits the refashioned you beautifully.
- Let God know how thankful you are for all the wonderful, healthy, fitting changes He has already established within you.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to trim away more of your old nature and ways of being so you can clothe yourself with God’s new nature.
Latest posts by Barbara Alpert (see all)
- God Is Three in One | Wednesday | December 12 - December 12, 2018
- A Word for You–– Don’t Do it | Tuesday | December 11 - December 11, 2018
- God Loves Ragamuffins | Friday | December 7 - December 7, 2018