As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.
–Proverbs 27:17 NLT
Friendships are a vital part of life. It’s important to cultivate healthy friendships.
Loyal friends accept each other unconditionally – “A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need” (Proverbs 17:17 NLT).
True friends have each other’s back – “There are ‘friends’ who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother” (Proverbs 18:24 NLT).
Helpful friends offer sound counsel – “Ointment and perfume delight the heart and the sweetness of a man’s friend give delight by hearty counsel” (Proverbs 27:9 NKJV).
Arguments put barricades between friends – “An offended friend is harder to win back than a fortified city. Arguments separate friends like a gate locked with bars” (Proverbs 18:19 NLT).
Gossip divides friends – “A troublemaker plants seeds of strife; gossip separates the best of friends” (Proverbs 16:28 NLT).
Unruly friends are negative influences – “Make no friendship with an angry man, and with a furious man do not go, lest you learn his ways and set a snare for your soul” (Proverbs 22:24-25 NKJV).
In healthy relationships, each person pours into the lives of others; the commitment is not one sided. Remain loyal, nurturing and keep Jesus the focal point of all relationships.
- Thank God for the relationship you are able to have with Him. Thank Him for the friendships He has brought into your life.
- Pray for wisdom and discernment concerning the vital relationships in your life.
Latest posts by Barbara Alpert (see all)
- A Word for You–– Don’t Do it | Tuesday | December 11 - December 11, 2018
- God Loves Ragamuffins | Friday | December 7 - December 7, 2018
- What’s the Difference…? | Sunday | December 2 - December 2, 2018