When desperate people give up on God Almighty, their friends, at least, should stick with them.
–Job 6:14 MSG
When we’ve had a loss or disappointment, the natural reaction is to withdraw from others. This is a bad idea! God doesn’t want you to try handling pain or loss or stress by yourself.
God commands us to bear each other’s burdens! We’re told to “encourage one another and build each other up” (1 Thessalonians 5:11 NIV).
Every one of us will experience difficulties and pain. Pain is the great equalizer. It doesn’t matter if you’re rich or poor, old or young. Every one of us will face troubles. This is why small groups are so important. The Bible says, “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ” (Galatians 6:2 NIV).
Job says, “Anyone who withholds kindness from a friend forsakes the fear of the Almighty” (Job 6:14 NIV). Every person needs Christian friends who will stand alongside you even when you say, “I don’t think I believe in God right now” and who will nurse you back to faith.
This devotional is based on Pastor Rick Warren’s Daily Hope radio series pastorrick.com.
- If disappointments or discouragement has caused you to draw away from God, let Him know how you are truly feeling.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to comfort you in this difficult season. Ask God to connect you with the right people.
Latest posts by Barbara Alpert (see all)
- Get Your Fire and Passion Back | Monday | December 31 - December 31, 2018
- Dream Small – Part Two | Sunday | December 30 - December 30, 2018
- Dream Small – Part One | Saturday | December 29 - December 29, 2018