And it came to pass after a while, that the brook dried up, because there had been no rain in the land. And the word of the Lord came unto him, saying, Arise, get thee to Zarephath, which belongeth to Zidon…. –1 Kings 17:7-9 KJV
In this passage in First Kings, Elijah has been obedient to the call of God, and he’s in a place of provision. He has everything he needs to survive: food, water, and safety from the wicked duo of King Ahab and Jezebel. Then seemingly out of nowhere, he goes from provision to poverty. He finds himself in a major state of lack. Imagine the thought process of Elijah when He hears this, “Arise, get thee to Zarephath, which belongeth to Zidon, and dwell there: behold, I have commanded a widow woman there to sustain thee” (1 Kings17:9 KJV).
Elijah was probably thinking, “Really God?” First, God wants Elijah to go back into Zidon, the hometown territory of Jezebel, the very person who wants his head. Second, a widow woman? Hardly an enticing proposition in that day. But again, Elijah is obedient! He goes to Zidon and finds someone else the enemy has tried to destroy. A woman, with a son, gathering sticks to cook her last meal. She’s hardly in a position to help, but she does so anyway. She doesn’t know the outcome, but she’s about to get back her lack.
That’s what God wants for us. Whatever the enemy has stolen from you, take it back today!
- Thank the Lord for whatever season you are in. Ask for His help to be obedient even in the face of adversity.
- When it seems like you gain ground with God only to have the enemy take it back, ask the Holy Spirit to give you guidance.
Latest posts by Gloria Shrock (see all)
- Wednesday | July 17 | Bible Duo – Moses and Aaron - July 17, 2019
- Sunday | July 14 | Bible Duo – Esther and Mordecai - July 14, 2019
- Wednesday | July 10 | Bible Duo – Jacob and Esau - July 10, 2019